Friday, May 16, 2008

Five Stories in May

I have recently been working on three new stories, and I’m also going to work on revisions for two older ones, which brings the total to five. But now I am unsure where I should send these stories. I haven’t put up a story on this blog in months; however, if I publish a story here, then I cannot send it to a magazine for publication. So maybe I will send those stories out upon completion, and then work on lesser projects for the blog; or I will publish older stories, maybe with some revision.

I have been trying out different styles, to try and see which ones really fit me the best. One is Joycean stream-of-consciousness, a style which has fascinated me for a while. I have also been writing in an almost “romantic” sort of way, which seems a little old fashioned for modern times; yet I feel that it could still work in the right instance. And I have been working on one story which I am writing in what I would call “dramatic prose monologue”: the style used by Camus in “The Fall” or more recently Mohsin Hamid in “The Reluctant Fundamentalist.” It’s a fun style to work with.

Anyways, that is about all I have to say here. It is early, and I still must eat and get ready for the fifth day of my Maymester on American Lit 1914-1945.

No comments: